30.6.11

Critics Review vs Anonymous Review

Hot topic: Critics Review vs Anonymous review. Which one is the better evaluation for movie?

Recent release of Transformers Dark of the Moon has spurred many disputes. Most anonymous or so called "amateur" reviews favor the movie (at the moment, 6.1/10 on metacritic, A- on yahoo movies and 6.9 on IMDB.). However most Critics do not like this movie (42/100 on metacritic, C on yahoo movie and 36% on rotten tomatoes).

So, which one is more accurate?

Well, it depends on what you want and know about movie in general. If you think movie is just one of the many forms of entertainment similar to music, video games etc. and you prefer action more than anything else, then you will find this movie interesting.

However if you think movie is different compared to all other forms of entertainment, and you want a total package in a movie (ie. action + acting + characters + directing + plot + story + pace + audio + dialog etc.), you will not like this movie.

This is the reason why most people think that critics are wrong every time. Critics look at multiple dimensions and give a complete evaluation while most anonymous reviewers look at single dimension and focus at it (from what I see so far, most people praised the movie for the action scenes).

That's why many bad movies reviewed by critics are considered good by anonymous reviewers. Most notably the Transformers series.

Personally, I prefer critics review as the more I watch movie, the more I want from it. I do not want movie to just entertain me. I want movie that can entertain me with multiple aspects that make movie different than other forms of entertainment. If I want mindless action with explosion, I will watch "Mythbusters". If I want the trill of moving very fast, I will either drive very fast or go for a roller coaster ride. If I want robots fighting each other, I will watch cartoon or play video games.

Of course everything should be based on moral judgement. However if you think Transformers 3 is the best movie of the year, I will say, you do not know movie.