8.12.11

Ministry of Tourism Malaysia (Kementerian Pelancongan Malaysia)

Currently terribly busy with my work and study. Wrote so much articles (all at half way) but do not have time to finish them. Anyway I have a great story to share with all of you as I think it's a joke to our beloved nation, Malaysia.

Was dealing with my eductional matter at Malaysia Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Putrajaya and found out that Ministry of Tourism of Malaysia is just beside MOHE so went there for some tourism brochures and materials for my next holiday.

Went to the main entrance of the Ministry of Tourism, asked the security guard for direction, greeted by a surprised looking guard that direct me to the customer services counter directly in front of the main entrance.

So went to the counter and greeted by few Malays that speak very poor English. Asked for tourism maps and brochures. Again these receptionists showed surprised expression and did not answer anything at first. Then after few minutes of clarification in Bahasa Melayu, finally they understood and told me to go to first storey. However before I could go, I had to get a visitor pass by putting my driving license there (what if someone doesn't have one?).

Went to first storey and found out that it was the wrong floor. There was nothing there except for few counters dealing with licensing matters.

Went down again to the main entrence counter and re-asked those receptionists and they told me to go to second story this time.

So went to second storey. Came out of the lift and there were 2 doors: the one on the right (door A, I think) was locked and the one on the left was wide opened. Seriously, take a guess: which door is the correct one?

Wrong! The door on the left was the entrance to the library of Tourism Ministry. Went to the librarian. Again greeted with surprised expression. Asked by the librarian to scan my visitor pass on a scanning machine on the side of the locked door (door A).

Once scanned, the door unlocked and there was another person there, responsible for all the tourism brochures and maps. So took some and went out of this miserable place.

So let's make everything clear: to get tourism brochures and maps at Ministry of Tourism of Malaysia, I need to walk into the building, hand over my driving license (wonder what happen if I don't have 1), deal with few receptionists who don't know much, go to the second floor of the building, scan my visitor pass on a machine next to a locked door with no instruction at all from those receptionists, then finally ask for them at a counter. I wouldn't call it user friendly.

How bout just put those brochures and maps beside the main entrance? Why make it so difficult for tourists to get tourism informations at the Ministry of Tourism? Does it make sense that people will go to Ministry of Tourism of a nation to get some tourism information? Or are they intend to purposely create a fun maze for tourists to enjoy?

Nevertheless, do you all (Malaysian) have similar story? if so, why not share......